1935 the colonists arrived from the Joliette region. These were families seeking a better life while in the grip of a severe
economic crisis. In their new home, the courageous pioneers had to work hard to develop the village we enjoy today.
1938 the pioneers of Rémigny built the presbytery next to the future site of their church, St. Urbain of Rémigny.
St. Urbain of Rémigny Catholic Church was constructed between 1941 and 1946 by the parishioners of the village.
The church was constructed with granite in the Dom Bello style, without columns to the interior, with an polygonal arch.
The concept of the church was created by Adrien Dufresne. This is the only church of the Abitibi-Témiscamingue region having these characteristics. The stained
glass windows that decorate the interior are a gift from the residents of Joliette.
2000 it was sold and transformed it into a Bed & Breakfast. The renovated building recovered its former charm and
grace while obtaining many modern upgrades.
In 2003, a full body care and an interior spa were added
to provide a complete Health Centre, that caters to the body, mind and soul.
In August 2010 we moved from Hamilton, Ontario and purchased
the presbytery. In honour of the initial pioneer’s work and dedication to St. Urbain as well as the 75th anniversary
of Rémigny, we named the Bed and Breakfast/Health Centre ‘Le Vieux Presbytère de St-Urbain de Rémigny'.
We are collecting historical information regarding the Presbytery and the priests that lived here with
the intent to publish a historical record of the building.